What To Eat in Malaysia?
WHAT TO EAT?
The food in Malaysia is a melting pot of indigenous as well as Indian and Chinese flavors. Here’s a rundown of some of the most popular dishes you will come across:-
- Chicken Rice - Steamed chicken served with aromatic and tasty ‘yellow oily’ rice and homemade chili sauce and pounded ginger or garlic and dark soy sauce, an authentic Asian dish that you simply can’t miss when you are in Malaysia!
- Satay or Sate- A dish of seasoned, skewered and grilled lamb, chicken or beef cubes on barbecue sticks. This is the favorite food of many Malaysians. If you are ever in the state of Negeri Sembilan, don’t forget to try the local Minangkabau version of the satay with extra spices!
- Murtabak - Stuffed pancake or fried bread filled with many fillings you can possibly imagine! This can range from cheese to an array of meats and vegetables.
- Nasi Lemak – a Malay fragrant rice dish cooked in coconut milk and pandan leaf. Served with side dishes such as fried peanuts, dried anchovies, sambal (chili paste) and various side dishes which is usually fried chicken wing wrapped in pandan leaf.
- Bak Kut Teh – A dish with complex broth made up of various herbs and spices with pork ribs used for the meat component which is popularly served among the Chinese community in Malaysia.
- Char Kway Teow – Basically it’s a popular stir-fried flat rice noodles with a sprinkling of shrimp paste, shrimps, beansprouts and chives. Aside from chicken rice, this is the other ubiquitous dish that travelers will come across in Malaysia.